Sunday, February 16, 2014

Literary Heroine Blog Party: Books, Britain, and Even Some Boys

Salutations of the day! I hope you're all enjoying this snowy Sunday (if it's not snowy where you live, congratulations). 
In case you didn't know, Kellie of her wonderful blog is hosting a lovely interweb party on a fantastic topic: books! More specifically, literary heroines. It looked like a lot of fun, so I thought I'd join. Make sure you head over and check over the other posts, as well as the splendid giveaway. 


1.) Introduce yourself!  Divulge your life's vision, likes, dislikes, aspirations, or something completely random!
My dream? Whatever He has in store I will try to accept, though I've always liked the idea of being an eccentric English professor. To make it more interesting, I would like to teach at a charming Catholic college and live nearby with my rambunctious Hobbitey children. As for something random- I hate green and herbal teas with a burning passion. I'll stick with black, red, and white, thanks.

And this is my favourite painting. 


2.) What, to you, forms the essence of a true heroine? 
The essence of a true heroine, for me, is that she must be able to sacrifice. Nothing says, "That's my hero!"
than someone giving up something dear to them for the sake of their beloved. Like Elinor, giving up Edward so he could retain his honour and that vile Lucy wouldn't be wronged. That's a heroine for you.

3.) Share up to four heroines of literature that you most admire and relate to.
Lizzie Bennet- she grows from a very prideful and unforgiving person (*cough* not like me at all *cough cough*) to a grateful young woman.
Jane Bennet- I need to be a lot more like Jane. You know, sweet, not suspecting every random stranger of terrible crimes, loyal, prudent.
Jo March- obviously (I did name my blog after her, after all). She wants to read all day? I RELATE. A homebody who, at the same time, wants travel? I RELATE.
Jane Eyre- for these quotes:

"I am no bird, and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an independent will."
"Do you think that because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, that I am soulless and heartless?"



4.) Five of your favourite historical novels?
Pride & Prejudice, Little Women, Eight Cousins, Sense & Sensibility, and Great Expectations.

5.) Out of those five books, who is your favourite major character and why?
It's a toss-up between Jo from LW, Joe from GE (I insist that he's a major character, and nothing you say can convince me otherwise), Elinor from S&S, and Lizzie from P&P. Jo, because like I said, I relate to basically everything she ever does, though not so much as I used to in years gone by. Joe- because he's Joe, and also the best example of Agape I've ever seen in books. Elinor, because of her sacrificing, family-first nature. Lizzie, because she was the main character of the first classic novel I ever read, and because we're rather alike.



6.) Out of those five books who is your favourite secondary character and why?
Probably Darcy (*grins*). Okay, in all seriousness, Herbert Pocket from Great Expectations. He's such a charmer, and as he's a secondary character and this is not a murder mystery, I'm allowed to be charmed.

In all his glory.
A modern version in all his glory. 
7.) If you were to plan out your dream vacation, where would you travel to- and what would you plan to do there?
Go to the UK, of course! Walk the halls of Oxford, kiss the Blarney Stone, stand on the cliffs and look out to where Yeats saw his 'merrows', see the table where Jane wrote her tales, visit the graves of the great poets, read The Hobbit in The Eagle & Child with a half of stout (that, as a teetotaler, I would inevitably leave unfinished, or give to a friend), buy a book at the site of Diagon Alley, have a cream-tea in Devonshire, bathe in Brighton, take a selfie with one of the fluffy-hatted guards at Buckingham Palace, pay tribute to the Motherland by looking up my ancestors, and visit the sites of the martyrs. And there's so much else, but I'd better stop while I'm ahead.

8.) What is your favourite period and culture to read about?
The eras of the World Wars, the Victorian times, and the turn of the 1900s. There's just something about the modest clothing, the lushness of the riches of royalty, romance spilling out of every door... I know it wasn't actually like that, but there's a good deal to be said for atmosphere. As for culture, I like me some good ol' Canadian history (*smug look over Anne of Green Gables*), and anything to do with Germanic cultures (heritage, y'all). And, of course, anything to do with England. 

9.) You have been invited to perform at a local charity concert. Singing, comedy, recitation- what is your act comprised of? 
First, I'd need some trusty chums with me to quell the embarrassment, and then we'd doubtless do something extremely awkward, but most likely comedy. We'd do this. 



10.) If you were invited to a party where each guest was to portray a heroine of literature, who would you select to represent?
Lizzie!


11.) What are your sentiments on the subject of chocolate?
There is rarely a problem that tea and chocolate cannot solve. Wars may rage around us and kingdoms may crash, but the flavour of chocolate would remain comforting.

12.) Favourite author(s)?
JK Rowling, CS Lewis, GK Chesterton, Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, and Louisa May Alcott. Let's have a series of slow claps for them, amen?

13.) Besides essentials, what would you take on a visiting voyage to a foreign land?
Do books and a camera count as essentials? If not, then those, but if so? A ridiculously-floaty ballgown in which to twirl round on the golden beaches of Kalamazoo (or Brighton). 

14.) In which century were most of the books you read written?
1800s, baby. REP-RE-SENT!

15.) In your opinion, the ultimate hero in literature is...

Ahem.

16.) Describe your ideal dwelling place.
Country, but close to town (or just a place in town next to an enormous park). A big, red-brick house with a black wrought-iron fence, fruit trees, a huge, magical back-garden, and a large porch. The inside would have to include quirky souvenirs, Victorian furniture, window-seats, and a cavernous kitchen. 

17.) Sum up your fashion style in a short sentence.
What is this fashion you speak of?

18.) Have you ever wanted to change a character's name?
I've always thought that I'd prefer Gilbert Blythe if he were named Damian. 'Gilbert' sounds like a prosaic fish, and so I've always imagined him as looking fishy, if you know what I mean. Damian, on the other hand, is a lot less dorky. You may now throw your tomatoes. 

19.) In your opinion, the most dastardly villain of all literature is...
Are you sure you want to play this game?


20.) Three favourite non-fiction books?
A Night to Remember (the depressing one about the Titanic's sinking, minus the Rose and Jack action. Really puts things into perspective.), The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom, and All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot. 

21.) Your duties met for the day, how would you choose to spend a carefree summer afternoon?
Picking raspberries, turning them into something delicious, and then running barefoot all over the woods and through the Shire with my beloveds. Stick books and a kitchen dance party in somewhere, and I am a happy camper. 

22.) Create a verbal sketch of your dream hat- in such a way as will best portray your true character.
Brown wool- my favourite colour and a sturdy fabric.
In the style of the thirties- not too extravagant, small-brimmed, kept in shape with a cardboard ring.
Rosette on one side- inner romanticist. 
Rather subdued- introversion and tendencies towards depression. 
But very pretty- pretty things are cheering.
Easily knocked off by being hugged.
Resilient to rain, because rain is outdoors weather. 
Looks nice with a big coat of red lipstick. 

And I actually own this hat. 

23.) Share the most significant events that have marked your life in the past year.
I met some of my very best friends, Tarry and Millie, after some of my other best friends, Spiffy and Meg, left our school. I joined the Tiber Swim Team, got my own bedroom, and starting writing letters. 

24.) Share the Bible passages that have been most inspiring to you recently. 

He grew up before him like a tender shoot,
    and like a root out of dry ground.
He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
    nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.
He was despised and rejected by mankind,
    a man of suffering, and familiar with pain.
Like one from whom people hide their faces
    he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.
Surely he took up our pain
    and bore our suffering,
yet we considered him punished by God,
    stricken by him, and afflicted.
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
    he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was on him,
    and by his wounds we are healed.
We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
    each of us has turned to our own way;
and the Lord has laid on him
    the iniquity of us all.
He was oppressed and afflicted,
    yet he did not open his mouth;
he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
    and as a sheep before its shearers is silent,
    so he did not open his mouth.
By oppression[a] and judgment he was taken away.
    Yet who of his generation protested?
For he was cut off from the land of the living;
    for the transgression of my people he was punished.[b]
He was assigned a grave with the wicked,
    and with the rich in his death,
though he had done no violence,
    nor was any deceit in his mouth.
10 Yet it was the Lord’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
    and though the Lord makes[c] his life an offering for sin,
he will see his offspring and prolong his days,
    and the will of the Lord will prosper in his hand.
11 After he has suffered,
    he will see the light of life[d] and be satisfied[e];
by his knowledge[f] my righteous servant will justify many,
    and he will bear their iniquities.
12 Therefore I will give him a portion among the great,[g]
    and he will divide the spoils with the strong,[h]
because he poured out his life unto death,
    and was numbered with the transgressors.
For he bore the sin of many,
    and made intercession for the transgressors.

And that wraps it up! Remember to check out the other participants. Oh, and let's celebrate by eating some delicious food from our favourite books. I made shortbread.

Wishing you an afternoon as lovely as your favourite book,





24 comments:

  1. This is fabulous! Found you through the link-up at Kellie's blog. I've always wished I was like Jo March, but I'm too much of a mixture of Meg and Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you (and there's a bad side to being like Jo... *cough* stubbornness *cough*)! I was just about to read your post. :) Have a blessed day!

      Delete
    2. Haha! And there's certainly a bad side to being like Meg/Amy, I'm much to prone to vainity :) :) :)
      Anyway, I've been reading through your past posts and have really enjoyed them, especially the post about Frozen and emotional chastity, it was a much needed reminder :) Thank you!

      Delete
    3. Oh, I feel you on the vanity thing. :/
      Thank you so much! It was my pleasure. :) God bless you!

      Delete
  2. AHH. Jean Valjean is your ultimate hero too? I cannot believe my luck. :D And this is such a wonderful idea of Kellie's, isn't it? :) Loved reading your answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes- she's brilliant! And YAY VALJEAN! :)

      Delete
  3. *snatching this* I MUST DO THIS. <3 Valjean. xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. No truer sentiment on chocolate was ever said. I think I just sat and watched Herbert Pocket's face for about three minutes:) Your hat sounds gorgeous! So glad I found your lovely blog! I'll definitely be visiting more often!
    {Emma}
    p.s. i'm sorry to say that i have my tomato in my hand;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *dodges tomato* Thank you so much for the kind words! It is quite gorgeous. :) God bless you!

      Delete
  5. Oh what a blessing to find this, your blog! I found it through Kellie's Literary Heroine Blog Party. I feel like we could be kindred spirits by your answers to the list of questions. :-) I am so very glad that I came across your little place on the internet. :-) God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much! God bless you! :)

      Delete
    2. I look forward to reading more of your postings. :-)

      Delete
  6. I have three rambunctious, semi-hobbity children, and they're loads of fun.

    I love that Darcy "Hey Girl" meme -- it made me laugh aloud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet (I've got siblings of the same type, haha). I know- so funny. :) God bless!

      Delete
  7. THANK YOU for using the Darcy/Hey Girl meme. All these girls who have never read a jot or tittle of Austen, bemoaning their lack of a Mr. Darcy---GO READ THE BOOK. If you want Mr. Darcy, you gotta have a little culture. *ending rant now* Loved your answers! P.S. Found your blog through Kellie's linkup...this is so fun.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! It is hilarious, no? :) Yes, GO READ THE BOOK!

      Delete
  8. Yes, the Darcy "Hey Girl" made me laugh out loud, too! :) Loved your answers, and I'm glad I found your blog...now I'm off to read your recent Harry Potter post! I'm a HP fan, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Potterheads unite! So glad to meet you. :) God bless!

      Delete
  9. Ooh I forgot Jean Valjean!!! He made the list as one of my favorite authors. That book made me bawl my eyes out! What a great hero.
    Had fun reading your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your post was so much fun to read, Grace! I was laughing and smiling all the way through:)
    Herbert Pocket! Yes!! And #19. Ohhh, nice. Three of my very favourite non-fiction books, too. <3

    --Kellie
    Accordion to Kellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading, Kellie! :) God bless you!

      Delete

Oh, you want to leave a note? Huzzah! I cannot wait. The longer the better, and please be courteous. You are about to make my day. Pax et bonum!

Previous Rambles